Collinder 399 (Cr 399) - Coat Hanger
Introduction | Map | Find/Identify | My
Observations | References
On this page I collect my observations of the asterism Cr 399, called Coat
Hanger, Al Sufi's Cluster, or Brocchi's Cluster,
in the constellation Vulpecula/Little Fox.
The asterism Cr
399 is located in the constellation Vulpecula/Little Fox.
Thanks to its shape, it is called Coat Hanger (see map below).
Size: 60' (Stoyan)
Rating: *** (Stoyan)
Overview map with Cr 399, the Coat Hanger, in constellation
Vulpecula/Little Fox (Image Courtesy of SkySafari Astronomy, www.simulationcurriculum.com)
Find: While I was not
able to find the Coat Hanger Cr 399 in 2016, I succeeded in 2017 using
- I found the Coat Hanger Cr 399 between the stars Altair and Vega;
on half the way there is a somewhat lighter star slightly above the direct
link, apparently, this is Albireo, below but still above the connecting
line, there is a double star (Anser),
and below it finally the Coat Hanger (see map below).
- You can find Cr 399 also using constellation Cygnus/Swan (stars
and Albireo (see the overview map above).
Meanwhile, I usually search for
the Coat Hanger using the second way.
Identify: Once you found the Coat Hanger Cr 399 in the ways
as described above, it is also identified, because thereits look is unique
(it may be upside down, depending on the type of your telescope, though...):
(Images Courtesy of SkySafari Astronomy, www.simulationcurriculum.com)
My Own Observations
Observations Summer to Autumn 2016
- Regrettably, I did not find the Coat Hanger Cr 399. Location, observation
date, and telescopes used are unknown/forgotten.
Observations September 2017
- Sep 20, 2017 (Sumène, Haute Loire, France: LT binoculars): Cr
399 seen well with binoculars
- Sep 21, 2017 (ditto): My wife Frau Astrid also found the Coat Hanger Cr
399 with binoculars (I saw it as well).
- Sep 22, 2017 (ditto: LT binoculars, Heritage
100P): Cr 399 observed with binoculars and with the 100P (eyepieces:
24/16 mm); in the telescope, the Coat Hanger shape is less evident, because
you see more stars -> binoculars are better suited to this objects.
- Sep 29, 2017 (ditto: LT binoculars): Cr 399 seen with binoculars
Observations October / November 2017
- October 2017 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: LT, TS binoculars): Found Cr
both binoculars - and always saw it well.
- November 13, 2017 (ditto): Found Cr 399 with
both binoculars (via Albireo) - and always saw it well.
Observations August 2018
- August 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: TS binoculars): Found Cr
399 with binoculars - and always saw it well.
Observations September - November 2018
- Sep 16, 2018 Sumène, France: TS bino, OM21 bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) easy to find from Sagitta; can
be seen nearly complete in the OM21,
very good with TS
- Oct 5, 2018 (Sumène, France: TS, LT bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) seen well
- Oct 14, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: PS
72/432, AZ Pronto
Mount, TS, LT bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) observed
- Nov 12, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: TS bino): Cr
399 (Coat Hanger) observed
- Nov 16, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: PS
72/432, AZ Pronto
399 (Coat Hanger) observed with 28 mm eyepiece, fine dots
Observations September / October 2019
- Sep 17, 2019 (Sumène, France: LT and TS bino, OM21 bino): Cr
399 (Coat Hanger) seen just "half" and with viewing
indirectly with OM21; seen well with the other binoculars
- Oct 3, 2019 (Sumène, France: StarTravel
120/600, AZ Pronto
Mount): Cr 399 just fits the
field of view at 24 mm, nice (turned upside down).
- Oct 31, 2019 (Erkerode: Skymax-127 on AZ
Pronto Mount, LT and
Only part of Cr 399 fit in the field of view
(region around the hook) (32 mm).
Observations August 2020
- August 27, 2020 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: PS72 on AZ
Pronto; TLAPO1027 on AZ4): Cr
fine stars, a little larger in the AP
On this Site